Sindhi Kadhi Recipe
Coming straight from the kitchen of ace Chef Saransh Goila, this interesting recipe of Sindhi kadhi is a balance of flavour with goodness of veggies. With drum stick, lotus stem, potatoes, cauliflower nd a host of vegetables cooked with a blend of spices, no wonder this sindhi kadhi is chef’s comfort food.
- 1 1/2 tsp refined oil
- 3 tbsp gram flour besan
- 1 tsp fenugreek methi seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric haldi powder
- 3 litre water
- 2 Potatoes
- 500 gms tomatoes
- 1 Drum stick optional
- 1 long or 2 small piece lotus stem
- 1 big or 2 small cauliflower
- 200 gms colocasia arbi
- 200 gms okra bhindi
- 3 lemon-sized balls tamarind imli, soaked in 1 cup warm water for 2 hours
- Oil for frying
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard sarson seeds
- 20-25 Curry leaves kari patta
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin jeera
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves dhania patta, chopped
- Put refined oil in a deep vessel. Once hot, shallow fry gram flour until golden brown. Do this on a very low flame for about 15 minutes. Add the fenugreek seeds just as it starts to change colour.
- Once it is golden brown, add turmeric powder and after a few seconds add all the water to it. With the water add cubed potatoes as they take longest to cook; let it all come to a boil. Then reduce the flame to medium.
- Purée the tomatoes and add to the vessel. Let the kadhi simmer away on a low flame for an hour.
- In the meanwhile, heat water in another small pot. Chop drum sticks into three-inch pieces and lotus stem into one-inch pieces. Parboil these and keep them aside.
- Also, heat the oil for frying after parboiling is done. Deep fry cauliflower florets, colocasia and okra till golden brown. While frying add some salt to the veggies.
- After the kadhi has simmered for an hour, add parboiled lotus stem and drum sticks to it. After another 10 minutes add the fried cauliflower, colocasia and okra together.
- Now strain the thick tamarind water which was soaked two hours back. Add this to the kadhi and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- For tempering, heat the oil in a tempering or small frying pan.
- To the hot oil add mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds and red chilli powder and add this tempering to the kadhi.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot kadhi with peas pulao or steamed rice.