Masala Dosa Recipe
A popular South Indian dish, dosa is a delicious comfort food that you can eat in any given course of food. It is light on the stomach, easy and quick to cook. Though its origin lies in Udupi, Karnataka, it is loved and savored all over the country and across the world as well. Dosa has had many variations over time but the most popular remains the plain dosa and masala dosa. You can have dosa for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner since it is easily digestible, low on calories and extremely appetizing! Ingredients in Masala Dosa Recipe: Masala dosa is a stuffed dosa recipe. Lightly cooked potatoes with onions, spices, curry leaves and mustard seeds, wrapped in a crisp rice and lentil crepe. Dosa is best enjoyed with a bowl of sambhar and coconut chutney on the side.
- 2 Cups Rice preferably parboiled
- 1/2 cup Black Gram Dhuli Urad(split and husked)
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp Salt
- For cooking dosas Oil
- For the Masala for Dosas:
- 500 gram Potatoes peeled and cubed, boiled
- 1 1/2 cups Onions sliced
- 2 Green chillies optional, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powdered
- 1/2 cup Water
- Wash and soak the rice in one container and the dal and fenugreek seeds together in another container for 5-6 hours or over night, depending on the weather.
- Grind dal mixture together to a very smooth consistency. Next grind the rice smooth too and mix the two batters.
- Add salt and enough water to make into a dropping consistency. Leave to ferment over-night or more depending on the weather, till a little spongy.
- If thickened too much, add a little water to thin a bit. Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- This will have to be very swift and will need a bit of practice.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and dribble a little oil around the edges so that it seeps under the dosa.
- When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under it to ease the dosa off the pan. Put desired filling in the center, and fold the two edges over.
- Serve accompanied with sambhar and chutney.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the mustard seeds, then onions, curry leaves and green chillies, and saute over high heat till the onions are a little transparent.
- Add the salt and the turmeric and mix well, before adding the potatoes.
- Turn the potatoes around till well mixed, and add the water, and let it simmer, for 2-3 minutes.